I am so glad to be starting Krash’s new school year off with a unit on FEELINGS! Of course he had to have a snazzy new Tot Book to work with so I got to creating. I got going and decided he was ready to try a full sized folder this time, plus I had a few ideas in mind that would need more space than the 1/2 sized folder. Here’s how we are laying ours out…
The cover…The Middle…Here you can see what I made, I will tell you a bit about each one…
- Top Left: I printed these cards on cardstock and did not laminate. I am going to have K color the feelings faces. After he is done I may laminate them.
- Top Middle: These pages can either be made into a book unlaminated or you can laminate each one like I did and hook them with rings at the top of the folder. I did this so we can take them out and work with them. I made the first letter in each word bigger so we can get a little bit of Letter ID in too! Mine are printed on regular paper and laminated.
- Top Right: Laminated mini-cards for matching.
- Bottom Right: a mini book about feelings (printed on paper, unlaminated)
- Bottom left/middle: The base is laminated and so are the little faces. They all have velcro dots on them for K to put the feeling faces on the boy and girl. I also made a small discussion card to give some ideas for questions to ask your tot.
The back, K’s isn’t stuck down yet, I will have him choose a feeling to draw when we are all done and put this on the back.
You could easily leave some things out and make the traditional 1/2 folder Tot Book if your tot isn’t ready for a big one. Or you could always just use different components and keep them in a manilla envelop (like I do with some of our Activity Packs)
You can download all of the pieces in PDF form here. Also on the webpage are links to many of the books we will be reading to go along with our Tot Book.